ASU agrees to contract extensions with Todd Graham, AD PattersonPosted: Updated:
Those looking for Todd Graham's next job-hop may be waiting for a while.
On Tuesday, it was learned that Graham and the university had agreed upon a contract extension that will run through June 30, 2013. The Arizona Board of Regents will vote upon the proposed extension during their meeting on September 26.
The major terms of the contract are:
- Pay raise from current $2.05-million to $2.3-million, which would go into effect July 1, 2013.
- The base would then increase on January 1 of each year through 2016 by $100,000, ending at $2.6-million on January 1, 2016.
- On January 1 of 2017 and 2018, Graham would see a $50,000 bump in base pay.
- He would receive an annual bonus based on academic performance, ranging from a $50,000 bonus for a team GPA of 2.60 or graduation rate of 65%, up to a maximum of a $200,000 bonus for a team GPA of 3.00 or graduation rate of 95%.
- He receives a bonus of $50,000 for an eight win season, $100,000 for nine wins, $100,000 for a 10-win year, $250,000 for 12 wins, and $350,000 for 13 wins
- $100,000 bonus for winning national coach of the year, or $50,000 for any other coach of the year award.
- Graham would get 10% of his base salary as a bonus for making the Pac-12 title game, and 20% for winning the Pac-12.
- A national championship would result in a bonus equal to 50% of his salary (40% for making it to the title game), 15% for making the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Peach or Fiesta Bowl, and 25% of his salary in a bonus for winning one of those bowls.
- He gets a bonus equal to one month of his salary for making any other bowl game, and $25,000 for winning it.
- If ASU finishes a season in the top 5, he gets a 3% bonus, 2% for top 10, and 1% for top 25.
- If Graham is terminated with cause, he must pay ASU $100,000.
- If ASU terminates the contract without cause, Graham would receive his full annual salary for the remainder of the term.
- The buyout should Graham take a head coaching job at another school is $1.5-million.
- Should Graham leave ASU, he is forbidden from taking a job in the Pac-12 through the duration of his former contract with ASU.
It's that last part that has caught much of the attention. The buyout of $1.5-million is not high, especially for larger schools who may want to reach out to Graham in the future.
Nevertheless, this contract represents yet another strong sign of Graham's successes at ASU. He now has a 10-5 record since taking over in December of 2011, and he has greatly revitalized the program and the Sun Devil community as a whole.
Perhaps the greatest impact of this extension will come in recruiting, showing prospective players that Graham and his staff are indeed in Tempe for the long term.
At the same September 26 meeting, the Board of Regents are expected to approve another deal with athletic director Steve Patterson, increasing his salary from $365,000 to $450,000. He can also receive a number of bonuses based on the academic performance of ASU's student-athletes.
The full Board of Regents proposal can be seen here.