Your Life A to Z Recipe: September 16, 2013 Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms, Tomatoes and BasilPosted: Updated:
Your Life A to Z Recipe: Monday, September 16, 2013
Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Basil
4 each Chicken breast, skinless, approx 5oz each
3 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp All-purpose flour
To taste Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
½ lb Shiitake mushrooms, washed and thickly sliced
1 each Shallot, minced
1 cup Good white wine
1 cup Chicken stock
1 Tbsp Tomato paste
2 tsp Thyme leaves
¾ lb Tomatoes, cut in ¾” chunks
1/3 cup Basil, torn
1. Place a chicken breast between two pieces of saran wrap on a cutting board and flatten with a meat mallet or the bottom of a sauté pan until they are a little over ½” thick. Repeat with the other breasts.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. When the pan is hot add 2 Tbsp of the olive oil. Dredge the chicken breasts in flour and when the oil is hot lay the breasts carefully in the pan and season with salt and pepper. When nice and brown turn over, season with salt & pepper and brown the other side; transfer to a platter.
3. Return the pan to the stove. Add the remaining Tbsp of olive oil, toss in the mushrooms and shallot and cook until mushroom give up their liquid and begin to brown. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and chicken stock. Turn heat up to high and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan; stir in the tomato paste and thyme. Cook until the sauce is reduced by half and it begins to thicken.
4. Meanwhile combine the tomatoes and basil in a mixing bowl; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
5. When sauce is reduced to 1 cup adjust the heat to low and return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook through. It should only take about 5 minutes if you did a good job flattening the chicken. It should regester165 degrees on an instant read thermometer if in doubt.
6. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Check seasoning and pour the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with the tomatoes and basil.