2 Suspects dead in unrelated police shootings

Posted: Updated:
By Andrew Michalscheck By Andrew Michalscheck
By Andrew Michalscheck By Andrew Michalscheck
By Andrew Michalscheck By Andrew Michalscheck

PHOENIX -- A pair of deadly officer-involved shootings took place Friday night in Phoenix.

The first incident took place in the area of Baseline Road and Central Avenue.

Tempe police had requested assistance from the US Marshals Task Force in apprehending 27-year-old Joseph Mavis, who was wanted on domestic violence and aggravated assault charges.

Members of the task force began conducting surveillance, and were able to positively identify Mavis at a residence.

Officers approached Mavis as he exited the home and gave Mavis commands. Police said he ignored the commands and reached for a gun in his pants pocket.

A member of the task force fired a sage round at Mavis, but he continued to raise his weapon at the officers.

Five officers then opened fire on Mavis, killing him at the scene.

No officers were injured.

The second, unrelated shooting, which was also fatal, took place a short time later in the area of 32nd Street and Greenway Road.

Phoenix police said Mesa police had been following a Nissan Frontier through Mesa after discovering that the vehicle had been reported stolen in Chandler earlier in the day.

Officers attempted to make a traffic stop, but the driver refused to comply. The driver eventually slowed down enough for two women to exit the vehicle. Those two women were detained by police.

The driver wound up traveling all the way to the area of 32nd Street and Greenway before he parked the vehicle and was allegedly seen walking up to a fast-food restaurant with a gun in his hand.

Officers approached the man, at which time he reportedly fled on foot.

Police said the man fired shots at officers as he ran, but he was eventually shot by police.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. He has been identified as Jonathan Tricarico, 29.

“Officers told him to put his weapon down, and he didn't,” witness Steve Hodnefield told 3TV. "Shots proceeded; we watched it all from the restaurant. We thought it was all over; we came outside, and another five or six shots were fired after that. It was pretty intense."

Police said no officers nor bystanders were hurt. A nearby shopping center, where the stolen car was ditched, was packed with people at the time.