8 Worst drinks for your bodyPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- From cocktails and energy drinks to smoothies and soda, these are the worst drinks for your body.
1. Hard liquor – Alcohol in moderation, one or two drinks a day, has been shown to raise HDL (good) cholesterol, boost blood flow, and improve sugar metabolism. But when you ask for that third drink, your risk for obesity and slew of other health problems starts to climb. The American Cancer Society found that the risk of cancer death was 36 percent higher among people who drank liquor heavily (three or more drinks each day).
2. Flavored water – Flavored and infused waters may deliver a few extra vitamins, but they’re also often packed with added sugars.
3. Juice drinks – Labels like “juice drink” and “juice cocktail” are almost always a euphemism for brightly-colored sugar water.
4. Whipped coffee drinks – When made with 2-percent milk, a large icy cup of joe can contain up to 800 calories and a third of the maximum recommended intake for artery-clogging saturated fat.
5. Diet soda – Diet soda may be calorie free, but it’s also 100-percent nutrition fee.
6. Sports drinks - Ending your workout by guzzling a typical sports drink may set your weight-loss goals back. Many sports drinks on the market contain a mixture of natural and artificial sweeteners.
7. Lemonade – Most store-bought versions are made from the same sweetener used in sodas.
8. Energy drinks – These are made with caffeine and sugar, so while they may give you a short-term burst of energy, you’ll ultimately crash and just want to zonk out.
Dr. Art Mollen's practice is located at 16100 N. 71st St. in Scottsdale. For more information, call 480-656-0016 or log on to www.drartmollen.com.