AHS offering adoption special for National Black Cat Appreciation DayPosted: Updated:
Black cats have gotten a bad rap and are the least likely to be adopted from shelters throughout the country. While many Americans believe black cats to be harbingers of bad luck or black magic, that’s not the case everywhere.
"In Scotland, they are a sign of prosperity," AHS spokeswoman Bretta Nelson said. "In Great Britain, they are a sign of luck. Japan, too. In Germany, they are a bad omen if crossing a person's path from left to right, but from right to left, they are a sign of favorable times ahead.
“At the Arizona Humane Society, they are considered the hardest, and take the longest, to get adopted although we can't be certain as to why,” she continued.
Right now, a full one-third of the cats available for adoption at AHS are black or tuxedo.
(Check out photos of a few of the black and tuxedo cats that are looking for homes.)
In honor of National Black Cat Appreciation Day and to help those lovable furballs find forever homes, AHS is slashing adoption fees on black and tuxedo cats to just $25 this weekend.
This special is available at both the Sunnyslope facility and Campus for Compassion, as well as at Petique at Biltmore Fashion Park.
10. They look like little black panthers.
9. When you have a black cat, a lint brush isn’t required for a black-tie affair.
8. Holding a black cat is very slimming.
7. Black cats will match any décor.
6. When you love a black cat, luck is actually on your side.
5. With black cats in the house, you’ll save money on their Halloween costumes.
4. They don’t care what color you are!
3. Black cats are like onyx, a beautiful gem.
2. Love knows no color.
1. Black cats are, sadly, the least likely to get adopted.
The National Black Cat Appreciation Day AHS adoption special is Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m., at Sunnyslope and Campus for Compassion. Petique’s hours are noon-6 p.m.
9226 N. 13th Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85021
Campus for Compassion
1521 W. Dobbins Road
Phoenix, AZ 85041
Petique at Biltmore Fashion Park
2502 E. Camelback Road
Phoenix, AZ 85016