Smoke alarm saves Maricopa family from garage fire
By Sarah Blais
MARICOPA, Ariz. -- Three Maricopa residents can thank their functional smoke alarm for saving their lives early Monday morning.
Fire officials say that smoke alarms sounded at about 1:00 a.m. in a residence near Maricopa and Honeycutt Roads. Although the residents didn't see or smell smoke, they evacuated the home. Once outside, they spotted flames shooting from behind the garage door.
Fire crews from Maricopa, Sun Lakes, and Gila River fought the blaze and managed to quickly keep the fire from spreading.
Officials did not disclose how the residents are related. They are temporarily displaced along with a small dog and cat.
The fire department reminds people to check their fire alarms monthly and replace the batteries twice per year.