PHOENIX -- The number of people who became sick after eating at a Mexican food restaurant in the West Valley has grown.
Maricopa County health officials said Thursday that the number of people who were sickened by the food at Federico’s Mexican Food has climbed to 52.
Officials are now trying to determine what items at the restaurant were contaminated with E. coli.
Health officials were notified of the issue on Aug. 1 after several people fell ill with what was described as bloody diarrhea.
Last Friday, the restaurant closed its doors and employees threw away $10,000 worth of food.
Federico’s reopened on Monday after county health inspectors said it was in compliance.
So far, two lawsuits have been filed against Federico’s for serving contaminated food.