Electricity from power line critically burns man in Yuma County

Posted: Updated:

WELLTON, Ariz. (AP) -- Authorities say a man was critically burned by electricity as he handled a copper ground wire on a power pole in the southwestern Arizona community of Wellton.

The man's identity hasn't been released but spokeswoman Judy Keane of the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix says he's in critical but stable condition.
 
She declined to elaborate but the Yuma Sun reports that doctors amputated one of his legs.
 
A Wellton-Mohawk Irrigation and Drainage District official says the man had cut the ground wire and was shaking it to dislodge it when it touched a part live with electricity.
 
Power operations Superintendent Fermin Ruiz says approximately 2,500 customers lost power for about an hour.
 
A Yuma County Sheriff's Office spokesman says he can't immediately provide any information.