Intruder shot in Phoenix home; police find marijuana plants

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- An intruder was shot several times, including once in the face, after he broke into a home early Friday morning.

The homeowner, 54, could be facing charges after police found dozens of marijuana plants in the home.

It happened just after midnight in a neighborhood near 19th Avenue and Thunderbird Road.

Police said the intruder was a 32-year-old black man.

The occupant of the home told police he was startled by the sound of a rock used to shatter a sliding glass door at the rear of the home.

That man grabbed a gun and shot the suspect several times. One of those shots hit the suspect in the face.

"We had an individual who broke in the arcadia rear door then also actually kicked in the bedroom door of the homeowner. That's when he was shot," said Sgt. Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department.

The homeowner then called police.

The suspect was taken to the hospital and he is expected to recover.

During their investigation police discovered dozens of marijuana plants in the home.

The homeowner has a medical marijuana card which allows him to grow 12 plants for personal use.

"Detectives have told me that there were 20 to 25 mature plants as well as 25 clones or immature plants," said Sgt. Thompson.

So in this case the homeowner could face cultivation of marijuana charges, according to Sgt. Thompson.

"There are laws that have been passed that allow people to cultivate marijuana provided they have the proper credentials but there are limits set upon that and if they overextend the number of plants that they have then it's the same as if they have no card at all for those plants over the limits," explained Sgt. Thompson.

It is unknown whether marijuana was the motive for the home invasion.

The homeowner told investigators several other people fled as he called police.