Man found dead after teens' party at Phoenix townhomes

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- A 35-year-old man is dead after a night of partying with teens at a Phoenix townhouse complex. Police are calling his death suspicious.

The man's body was found at the Cotton Center Town Homes complex in the area of 48th Street and Broadway Road early Wednesday morning.

"There are a lot of unanswered questions," said Sgt. Tommy Thompson of the Phoenix Police Department.

Investigators are still sorting things out, but they believe it started Tuesday night with a party attended by -- possibly hosted by -- some teens whose parents are out of town.

Police believe the older man, who has not been identified, showed up at the party. They are not sure if he had any connection with the people at the party. It's not clear how the man came to be there, if he lived at the complex or perhaps knew other residents.

At some point, the man passed out. Before doing so, he apparently called some friends to pick him up.

Police believe people from the party moved the unconscious man out of the home, leaving him in a common area. When the man's friends arrived at about 1 a.m., they discovered that he was dead. Those people immediately called 911.

"Some of the people were doing efforts to revive him," Thompson said. "He unfortunately died here at the scene. ... Certainly a 35-year-old man who passes out and then dies of his injuries, that's an investigation that we need to conduct, and that's what we're doing right now."

Police say everyone involved with the party scattered as soon as officers arrived at the complex.

"We know that there were some juveniles at the party, but we don't know yet ... who was in charge of the party or what the activities were at the party," Thompson said. "Those are questions that we want answered."

Investigators are trying to piece together the man's movements and actions in the hours leading up to his death. Detectives have not released any details about the man.

It will be up to the Maricopa County medical examiner to determine how the man died.