2 Police shootings in Phoenix Saturday

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- Police were on the scene of two separate and unrelated officer-involved shootings Saturday night.

In one of the incidents, detectives said an officer was forced to shoot and kill a man.That happened near Seventh and Pierce streets, just north of Van Buren Street.

In that situation, police were responding to a domestic violence call. Todd Allan Ferguson, 34, had been drinking and reportedly threatened to kill his father at an apartment, according to police.

When police met the suspect outside they say he came at one of the officers with two butcher knives. The officer fired several rounds. The officer was not hurt. He is 30 years old with six years on the Phoenix Police Department.

"As you know those can be some of the most dangerous situations that we respond to," said Sgt. Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department. "That officer recognized that threat when the man advanced towards him and he fired at him and the man was struck and died of his injuries at the scene."

At almost the exact same time across the city to the northwest, near 35th Avenue and Bell Road, another Phoenix police officer was shooting at a suspect. In that case the suspect, later identified as Russell McKinney, was not killed.

McKinney is facing a charge of aggravated assault after allegedly breaking into a home. Police say he appeared to be carrying a rifle when he walked out of a hallway.

An officer fired at McKinney, but did not hit him. McKinney reportedly did not return fire, but did try to go back into the house.

That's when officers released a police dog. McKinney was treated for a dog bite before police booked him.

"We are a very large department and by nature of our job there are times when we are confronted with violent situations. Just so happens we had two of them happen almost at the same time," Thompson said.

Both incidents are under investigation and the officers involved will be placed on administrative leave as standard procedure.