Pyrotechnician critical after fireworks malfunctioned in Kingman

Posted: Updated:

KINGMAN, Ariz. -- A pyrotechnician is in critical condition after he was burned by fireworks Thursday night in Kingman.

Jeremy Lee, 40 of Utah, went to investigate after a pre-packaged box of fireworks malfunctioned midway through the show at the Mohave County Fairgrounds, according to Rusty Cooper, deputy chief of police with the Kingman Police Department.

The fireworks then detonated improperly out of the side of the tubes, striking Lee in the head. He suffered massive head trauma and burns.

Cooper said Lee was wearing the appropriate safety equipment.

Lee was transported to the Kingman Regional Medical Center and later flown to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.