Farro with Black Beans & Summer VegetablesPosted: Updated:
Yield: 4 servings
3/4 cup Farro
3 cups Water
As needed Kosher salt
1 Tbsp Lemon zest
8 oz Plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 each Red onion, diced
1 small Zucchini, diced
1 each Red bell pepper, diced
1-1/2 cups Asparagus, cut in 1” pieces (approximately 6-7 large spears)
2 cups Cooked black beans (or one 15 oz can; drained)
1/2 bunch Red Chard, cut in bite size pieces (2 cups)
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
1 tsp. Fresh thyme
To taste Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Combine the farro, water and a pinch of salt in a 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 1 hour until tender; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, stir the lemon zest into the yogurt; set aside.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add onion, zucchini and red bell pepper; lower heat and cook until tender (approx. 3 minutes). Add farro; adjust heat to a simmer.
4. Add asparagus and additional water if needed; cook until asparagus is tender.
5. Stir in the black beans, chard, cheese and thyme; wilt briefly and season with salt and pepper. The mixture should have a stew-like consistency. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with a dollop of the lemon yogurt. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and serve.