6 Beauty mistakes you don't know you're makingPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- From washing your face in the morning to putting on your makeup, there are probably several thing you're doing wrong in your beauty routine. And you don't even know it.
I talked to cosmetics and skincare expert Zethina about the six most common beauty blunders.
1. Mismatched foundation. If you're heading to a pool party for a little fun in the sun your foundation should match your new golden glow. When your tan fades, it's time to change your foundation color again.
2. Washing your face in the morning. Using harsh cleansers and scrubs in the a.m. can strip your skin of essential oils. Instead, start using a gentle cleanser that doesn't contain harsh detergents or acids and then apply moisturizer and SPF.
3. Exfoliating too much. Zethina says it's unnecessary because your skin naturally sheds any dead cells.
Instead, exfoliate your face and body no more than once or twice a week.
4. Pumping your mascara wand. "Moving the brush in and of the tube could help germs thrive and multiply," Zethina explained. Plus the air may cause mascara to dry out faster and it won't last as long as it should.
Instead, pull the wand out gently moving it around inside the container and scraping the edge to keep the product fresh and bacteria-free as long as possible.
5. Piling on products. You may have all kinds of products, but using different product lines can negate their powers or cause skin irritation
Zethina says it's best to stick with a gentle cleanser, moisturizer and SPF.
6. Neglecting your neck. Forgetting to moisturize and use sunscreen below can lead to early signs of aging on your neck.
Zethina says you should remember to include your neck in your daily routine.