PHOENIX -- Valley firefighters are back to working in triple-digit heat.
As temperatures hit 102 degrees Monday afternoon, Phoenix crews were called to a fire near Interstate 17 and Indian School Road.
Something caused an explosion in a vacant home. Fire crews discovered a gas leak at the scene and called utility companies, along with hazardous material crews.
As we head into intense summer heat, firefighters say they try to steer clear of dehydrating coffee and soda, and instead drink water before, during and after their shifts.
At fire scenes, they cycle crews in and out, making sure firefighters get the chance to cool their body temperatures down before re-entering a burning building.
Cool mist sprayers, an air-conditioned cooling truck, and other tools and techniques are brought to fire scenes all summer to keep firefighters from being overcome by the heat.