Police release photo of suspect in shooting, chase in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Police Department has released new information on the events surrounding a pursuit in North Phoenix on Tuesday evening.

The alleged crime spree began at a Cash & More check cashing business at 19th Ave. and Bell Rd.

Aaron Jacob Dias, 37, reportedly tried to cash a forged check.

Officers who responded to the call had Dias sit down as they investigated the alleged forgery. Moments later, Dias ran from the business.

He then attempted to carjack a vehicle where he reportedly fired a gun multiple times before the driver, a 67 year old man, got away.

Dias then fired at least one shot at a pickup truck being driven by a 60 year old woman. Her 11 and 9 year old grandsons were also in the truck.

Dias entered the passenger side of the truck and pointed his handgun at the woman's head.

Officers observed this as they approached and one of the officers, fearing the victim was going to be shot, fired one round at Dias inside the truck. Dias fell from the truck and it was later determined that he had not been shot.

As the officers rushed to get the woman and her grandsons out of the truck Dias took the opportunity to jump in the truck and take off from the parking lot.

Dias used that truck to lead police on a chase that lasted about 20 minutes. The police helicopter and ground units followed him as he drove erratically around the Interstate 17 corridor from W. Bell Rd. to W. Peoria Ave.

He drove the wrong way on the north and south bound access roads at least twice.

At one point, Dias entered the business area at 11601 N. Black Canyon Hwy where he almost hit someone in the parking lot and then struck a parked vehicle before continuing to flee.

The air unit continued following the suspect until he sped into the parking lot of the Circle K at 1901 W. Cactus Rd. where he drove between two gas pumps, struck at least one vehicle and barely missed striking several people, then crashed into the store.

Dias, who had head and hand injuries, was restrained by police, treated by paramedics and rushed to a hospital in an ambulance.

There were no injuries to the victims or the officers.

Editor's note: This article has been updated to reflect a correction by the Phoenix Police Department regarding the suspect's age.