PHOENIX -- One man was injured in an early morning apartment fire in central Phoenix Friday.
It happened at about 6 a.m. at 19th Avenue and Camelback Road. Firefighters were on the scene within three minutes of receiving the call. They were able to quickly knock down the flames and keep them from spreading to nearby apartments.
The fast-moving flames gutted the first-floor unit where the fire started. The unit above sustained some smoke damage.
It's not clear what sparked the fire, but crews believe it started in the bedroom where the victim, who has not been identified, was sleeping. Neighbors were able to help the man escape.
He suffered relatively minor burns to his face, but is expected to recover. No other injuries were reported and the rest of the apartments in the 20-unit complex were spared.
Firefighters were clearing the scene just an hour after they were called out.