Teen accused in brutal murder of friend's father

Posted: Updated:
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey

PEORIA -- A valley teen faces first degree murder charges in the March 1 brutal beating and stabbing death of a friend's father, 39 year old Steven Gibson.

Police say 16 year old Erik McBee, a student at Centennial High School, went to the home near 75th Avenue and Thunderbird in Peoria, to hang out and spend the night with a friend, Steven Gibson, Jr.

Court documents show that later in the evening,  McBee was left alone in the house with his friend's father, Steven Gibson.

McBee claims that when he went upstairs, he was confronted by Gibson. According the court documents, McBee says Gibson shoved him while in the hallway, and punched him once in the face.

The police report says that McBee then pushed Gibson into the master bedroom, grabbed an aluminum baseball bat, then struck Gibson in the face with it. Gibson reportedly put his hand to his face and went to lie down.

McBee went back downstairs. But according to the court documents, when he came back upstairs to check on Gibson, he again had a confrontation with the older man, and proceeded to hit him in the head with the bat four more times.

McBee told police he remembers "partially blacking out", but said he noticed that Gibson had a "lot of trauma to his head, and half was caved in," according to court paperwork.

McBee then reportedly went and grabbed a handgun, with which, according to court documents, he was planning to shoot Gibson "to finish him off so he did not have to watch him die."

But, McBee reportedly decided not to use the gun, because, according to the police report, he felt: "It would be too loud, and he did not want anyone to hear him because he was planning on leaving and did not want to get caught."

Police say McBee then went and got a knife from the kitchen, with a blade of about two feet long. The police report says that McBee used that knife to slice sliced Gibson's throat, because, according to the documents, "he had heard that this would end his life quickly."

Police say McBee also drove the knife into Gibson's chest  as many as four times.

The court documents then show that McBee wrapped Gibson's body in a blanket, dragged him down the stairs and into the garage,

According to police, McBee then grabbed some bleach and gloves and returned to the bedroom to clean up. The police report shows that he removed his tennis shoes and put plastic bags on his feet because "he didn't want to ruin his shoes."

The rest of the family then arrived home, and Gibson's wife saw the body in the garage.

That's when police say McBee took off on foot, hopping a wall and running through some yards, before turning around and walking back  to the house to turn himself in.

McBee was arraigned Monday, and he will be tried as an adult. He faces felony charges of first degree murder and kidnapping.  

Erik McBee made headlines back in 2012. The then-15 year old was interviewed along with his mother, after he fell asleep on a plane and ended up in the wrong city.