Natural gas leak may have caused fire at Phoenix home

Posted: Updated:
By Andrew Michalscheck By Andrew Michalscheck

PHOENIX -- A central Phoenix neighborhood woke up to the sound of an explosion that is believed to have set a house on fire early Saturday morning.

Fire crews responded to a home near 21st Avenue and Missouri.  Witnesses said they heard a blast or explosion at around 7:30 am.  When they went outside, they saw flames and lots of black smoke.

A Phoenix Fire spokesperson said they believe the cause of the fire may have been a natural gas leak. 

Some nearby homes were evacuated while the fire was put out and the gas leak secured.

There were no reports of injuries.