Doctor fighting for medical license after acquittal

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- Dr. Gabriel Ogbonnaya wants to reopen the doors to his medical practice, but there’s a problem.

Last year the Arizona Medical Board yanked his license.

"I will get my license back," said Ogbonnaya.

In 2010, nine women claimed the doctor sexually abused them.

But just last month the doctor was acquitted on 11 counts of sexual abuse and assault.

The medical board is refusing to give him his license back.

According to Lisa Wynn with the medical board, the evidence and witness testimony during their investigation showed the doctor provided inappropriate medical care.

"When there is enough evidence for the board to believe there was inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the practice of medicine then it's the board’s job to take action," said Wynn.

We're told the board's investigation was completely separate from a criminal investigation.

According to the doctor, "The same evidence that the jury looked at and said that I should be acquitted and these ladies (the alleged victims) are not credible and that every encounter was clinically appropriate and there was no sexual intent," Ogbonnaya said.

He’s now appealing the board’s decision and said, "Justice will be done and no matter what it takes to get justice it will be done."

The board has until May 1, 2013 to respond to his appeal.

As it stands right now, the doctor can reapply for his license in five  years.

Editor's note: This article has been updated to correct a quote from Dr. Gabriel Ogbonnay, saying "...every encounter was clinically appropriate ...."