Skiers report illness after visiting Sunrise Park Resort

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

GREER, Ariz. -- Some skiers who visited Sunrise Park Resort last month have reportedly become ill. Authorities believe they've been infected with Norovirus. The outbreak is linked to the weekend of Feb. 23 to Feb. 24.

The ski resort is working with Federal, State, County and Tribal Agencies to investigate the reported illness. Preliminary tests ruled out food and water sources as the cause.

Investigators suggest the illness is a Norovirus infection, a very contagious virus. The virus is often transmitted by fecally-contaminated food or water; by person-to-person contact, and through the air.

Noroviruses are the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans and can affect people of all ages.

The Norovirus was likely brought to the ski area by an outside individual or group and spread by close contact at the resort.

The Federal Division of Environmental Health Services (DEHS) is continuing researching with the Arizona Department of Health Services and will create a summary report from their investigation.

Sunrise has followed all recommendations sterilizing surfaces as well as taking extra precautions. Officials at the ski resort say they will continue to cooperate and work closely with DEHS officers.

Sunrise is owned and operated by the White Mountain Apache Tribe and located in Eastern Arizona in the White Mountains.