Cave Creek woman suspects Grand Champion show dog poisonedPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- Showing dogs is Lynette Blue's passion in life.
But recently some of the fun was taken out of the hobby.
"It was a nightmare, a horrible experience," said Blue.
Her 3-year-old grand champion and best in show dog named "Cruz" recently died.
The breeder suspects someone poisoned Cruz at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York.
"That is the only place he came in contact with large groups of the public," said the dog owner.
Blue suspects someone gave her dog rat poison.
"We're just going he was not out of site. He was not walked in a park. He was not walked outside. He was not on the sidewalk. Where could he have gotten this? Either picking it up or someone giving it to him," Blue questioned.
Cruz was cremated.
Blue decided not to have a necropsy or animal autopsy done because in the past she said they've been useless.
"I've done necropsies before and nine times out of 10 we never got any answer," said Blue.
The Associated Press got a statement from Westminster officials that said in part:
"We have never, to our knowledge, had an incident at our show where a dog has become ill or was harmed as a result of being poisoned."