Carbon monoxide poisoning a concern during cold snap

Posted: Updated:
By Andrew Michalscheck By Andrew Michalscheck

PHOENIX -- With cold temperatures expected to hit the state this weekend, many Arizona residents will be turning to alternative heat sources to warm their home.

But the increased need for heat can also lead to an increased danger for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide, which has been dubbed the “silent killer,” is particularly dangerous because it cannot be seen or smelled.

Approximately 20,000 Americans are treated for carbon monoxide poisoning each year, with symptoms including headaches, dizziness, chest pain, and nausea. High levels of carbon monoxide can also lead to death.

In order to prevent Valley residents from experiencing some of these symptoms, experts at Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center have provided a few tips to help reduce the risk of any danger.

Experts recommend that residents have a qualified technician expect the heating systems in their home, as well as having battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors placed in their house. 

Residents are urged to not use gas-powered appliances to heat their house, while items like camp stoves and charcoal grills are also not to be used inside the home.

Vehicles should not be run when the garage door is closed, and generators should only be used outdoors away from doors, windows and vents.

Anyone who needs to reach the Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center can call 1-800-222-1222. They provide a 24-hour emergency service for both residents and medical professionals in Maricopa County.

The Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center can also be reached at