Ariz. forests begin sale of Christmas tree permitsPosted: Updated:
PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) -- Christmas is two months away but anyone wanting to cut their own tree already can get a permit.
The $15 permits are available for all of the national forests in Arizona except for the Coronado National Forest in the southern part of the state. Permit holders are limited to one tree per household. That tree can be up to 10 feet tall.
The cutting season starts Nov. 17 and ends at midnight on Christmas Eve.
Some 9,500 permits are available. The majority are for the Apache Sitgreaves National Forest in eastern Arizona.
Permits will be available from Forest Service offices on the Apache-Sitgreaves, Coconino, Kaibab, Prescott, and Tonto National Forests. For information on which offices are offering over-the-counter Christmas tree permits and when they will be sold, please contact the respective national forest:
- Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests (928) 333-4301
- Coconino National Forest (928) 527-3600
- Kaibab National Forest (928) 635-5600
- Prescott National Forest (928) 443-8000
- Tonto National Forest (602) 225-5200
For 2012, permits will also be available from participating Big Five stores across Arizona starting October 27:
- Avondale/Goodyear: 1623 North Dysart Road, 623-535-0384
- Bullhead City: 1835 Hwy 95, 928-763-0608
- Chandler: 2050 North Arizona Avenue, 480-821-9226
- Flagstaff: 2775 Woodlands Village Boulevard, 928-214-0590
- Glendale: 5490 West Bell Road, 602-548-5794
- Kingman: 3320 North Stockton Hill Road, 928-692-4944
- Mesa: 2930 North Power Road, 480-854-1889
- Mesa/Gilbert: 1244 South Gilbert Road, 480-507-0137
- Paradise Valley:4623 East Cactus Road, 602-953-0305
- Phoenix/Bell Rd:1919 West Bell Road, 602-863-1309
- Phoenix/East: 3560 East Thomas Road, 602-955-9601
- Phoenix/West: 7710 West Thomas Road, 623-848-4800
- Prescott Valley: 6106 Highway 69, 928-759-0013
- Show Low: 4441 South White Mountain, 928-537-5551
- Scottsdale: 3330 Hayden Road, 480-941-4387
- Thatcher: 2281 West U.S. Highway 70 Suite C, 928-428-8760
- Tucson: 5695 East Speedway Boulevard, 520-296-3326
- Yuma: 505 Catalina Drive, 928-726-2884
For more information, visit the U.S. Forest Service website for Apache and Sitgreaves national forests.