Judge: No release for pipe bomb suspect

Posted: Updated:
By Andrew Michalscheck By Andrew Michalscheck

PHOENIX -- Despite not having a criminal past and stating he doesn't have a drug problem, a judge on Tuesday deemed pipe-bombing suspect Gary Vogt a danger to his alleged victims, as well as the community in general, and ordered him held without release until his trial.

When Vogt went before Judge Bridget Bade for a preliminary hearing, ATF Special Agent Tristan Moreland unveiled evidence his team collected from Vogt's home.

Moreland said they found three labeled canisters of chemicals that,"if blended together can create an explosion." He also said they found a safe and inside was a "cigar like" holder that contained a substance that was tested and came back positive as drugs. He said they also found a glass pipe that is typically used for smoking meth. 

Vogt was arrested Friday morning by Glendale police and ATF agents. The arrest came after a 14-month investigation into Vogt.

Court documents show a feud between a Deer Valley Unified School District official and Vogt may have led up to the three pipe bombings in Glendale.

According to federal court documents obtained by 3TV, Richard Gray, who lived in the house targeted in the bombings, believes Vogt would consider Gray his nemesis. Gray is the Student Support Services Manager and psychologist at the Deer Valley Unified School District. 

The record also alleges Vogt had been unhappy on several occasions with the "services and/or rulings" of the district.  Gray said the "services" are not his main job, but he is "clearly the face of the district and its decisions in these types of matters." 

Gray told investigators Vogt considered him his nemesis.  The documents didn't go into detail about the rulings or what they may have fought about.

The first bombing happened on June 19, 2011. The small pipe bomb exploded in the driveway of Gray's house on the 800 block of 66Th avenue, according to court records. No one was hurt.

The second bombing was on July 25, 2011, when two pipe bombs were placed under the front of two vehicles parked next to each other in the driveway.

The latest happened on Sept. 5, 2012. One pipe bomb went off and sent debris into the garage and surrounding areas, court documents say. That explosion sent the other bomb across the street, through a house window, and into the back of the house.

According to the criminal complaint, investigators were able to track Vogt through surveillance video from Home Depot and Lowe's, when he bought the materials to make the pimp bombs. 

Documents also say surveillance cameras on Gray's house captured Vogt leaving the scene in Chevrolet Suburban during the third bombing. 

During an interview, Gray reportedly didn't recognize the suspect in the photos, but did recognize the portable oxygen system that is used by Vogt.