Saguaro, Tempe return to the field following controversial gamePosted: Updated:
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- One week after making news they’d probably rather not make, Saguaro High School and Tempe High School returned to the football field.
Tempe forfeited last week’s contest against Saguaro just before halftime after they became concerned for the health and safety of their players.
While there were suggestions of dirty play, Saguaro fans point out that their kids were simply playing football.
“You have one school that’s completely focused on football, and you have another that’s kind of focused on basketball. Their school doesn’t have a roster, so they move their people up,” said Travis Anderson, whose son plays for Saguaro.
Earlier this week, the Arizona Interscholastic Association announced that there was no evidence of deliberate injuries, and that both teams had committed unsportsmanlike penalties.
“I think it was spot on. They made the right decision,” said Saguaro parent Dean Ramsey when asked about the AIA’s ruling.
Both school districts have issued statements saying they consider the matter closed.
That might not be the case, however, as the AIA Board of Directors will announce if there will be any sanctions on October 22 during their next scheduled board meeting.