Wife admits to knitting needle attack on husband, claims verbal abuse

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

GILBERT, Ariz. -- A Gilbert woman is facing charges after admittedly attacking her husband with a 12-inch aluminum knitting needle. She told police she was "tired" of what she claimed was ongoing verbal abuse.

It happened the evening of Aug. 30 at the couple's home in the neighborhood southwest of Ray and Higley roads.

According to Sgt. Bill Balafas of the Gilbert Police Department, Belinda Boyd went after her 63-year-old husband, William, allegedly attacking him first with the knitting needle and then a pair of scissors.

William was not badly injured, receiving only a small laceration on his right arm from the knitting needle. He told police his wife had aimed for his face so he raised his arms to protect himself.

It started with an argument between the two. A second argument ensued after Boyd allegedly tried to stab her husband with the knitting needle. He said that's when she went for the scissors. Police found both inside the couple's home.

According to William, Boyd tried one again to stab him in the face. According to court paperwork, he recorded part of that attack on his cell phone. On the video, police said Boyd can be heard urging her husband to fight back.

Boyd, 53, was arrested and booked into Fourth Avenue Jail on two counts of aggravated assault.

She was released on $20,000 bond on Sept. 3, according to a representative of the jail and court paperwork.

Police said Boyd admitted attacking her husband with a knitting needle, saying he had "verbally abused her for years and she was tired of it."

Boyd said she was provoked when her husband told her that both he and their children think "she is crazy."

"The defendant stated there was not additional provocation for the attack," arresting officers wrote in their probable cause statement.

According to court paperwork, the Boyds have been married for 36 years. According to both of them, there is an undocumented history of domestic violence.

William told police his wife's mental health has been deteriorating over the past year and that she has threatened to kill him on more than one occasion.

While has ignored those alleged threats in the past, his feelings have changed recently as he "has felt that the defendant is very capable of hurting or killing him and he fears for his life," reads the court paperwork.

The forms indicate that the couple's adult children share those fears and have urged their dad to contact the police.

A status conference is scheduled for Sept. 7, followed by a preliminary heading on Sept. 11. In the meantime, Boyd is not permitted to have any contact with her husband or to return home.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct Boyd's release date and include new information.