Man allegedly assaults Mesa police officers while resisting arrest

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

MESA, Ariz. -- Two Police officers in Mesa said they were physically assaulted by a man who they were trying arrest on Sunday just after 1 p.m.

Officers approached 50-year-old Roland Lederer on S. Robson, south of W. Main St., because he was sleeping on the sidewalk and appeared intoxicated.

A records check revealed Lederer had a warrant for his arrest. When informed of the warrant, the Lederer attempted to walk away.

Officers grabbed hold of the suspect and attempted to arrest him. The suspect responded by pushing and punching the officers. The suspect was able to push one officer, a female, to the ground and ended up on top of the officer.

The second officer attempted to pull the suspect off of the officer who was on the ground, but was unsuccessful.

The second officer delivered numerous fist strikes to the suspect. However, this had no effect and the suspect continued to fight.  A Taser was deployed and multiple cycles were given before the suspect could be controlled and handcuffed.

The officers sustained minor injuries. The suspect was transported to a hospital for treatment and then booked into the Mesa City Jail on 2 counts of Aggravated Assault on an Officer, 1 count of Resisting Arrest, Obstructing a Public Thoroughfare, and a warrant for Failure to Appear on a previous charge out of Mesa City Court.

In a separate incident a man accused of stealing beer from a convenience store allegedly pushed a Mesa police officer when the officer confronted him. It happened at the AM/PM at 25 W. McKellips Road, just west of Center Street.

Matangi Tai, 36, is facing charges of aggravated assault on an officer, shoplifting, and consuming alcohol in public

The officer deployed his Taser and struck Tai with both probes. The Taser had no effect, and the suspect pulled the wires off of the probes and continued to advance.

The officer then struck the suspect three to four times on his left thigh with his baton, which also had no effect. The officer had to go "hands-on" with the suspect and was able to take him to the ground and place him in handcuffs.