Witness claims police beat wounded dog with baton

Posted: Updated:

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- The Flagstaff Police Department supervisor who reportedly euthanized a wounded dog is accused of beating the animal with a baton and stomping on its head.

A woman who claims to have witnessed the entire incident tells the Arizona Daily Sun that Corporal John Tewes beat the animal after it was accidentally hit by a patrol car.  

The woman, who wanted to remain anonymous, said she and her husband were home around 2:30 a.m. on August 19 when they heard their dogs howling and saw flashing lights outside.

The husband went outside and saw their neighbor’s dog in the street bleeding from its eyes and nose.

The husband reportedly tried to tell the police officer that the dog belonged to his neighbor, but he was told to go back in his house.

The woman says the officer who hit the dog waited in the street with the animal for about ten minutes, which is when Cpl. Tewes arrived.

After a few more minutes passed, the woman said she watched out her window as Cpl. Tewes extended his baton and hit the dog in the head.

The woman claimed she had to turn away, but could still hear the baton hitting the dog.

The police eventually grabbed the dog by a leg and dragged it to the patrol car.

The witness said she spoke to her neighbors after news of the incident was first reported in the Arizona Daily Sun.

The neighbors said they had been searching for the dog all week when they were eventually asked to identify its body at the Coconino Humane Association. A police investigator then told them what happened to their dog.

Shortly after launching their investigation into the death of the dog, police learned that Cpl. Tewes might have also threatened his ex-wife. He was placed on administrative leave and is now being investigated by the Coconino County Sheriff’s for possible charges of animal abuse and making threats.

Police have declined to discuss any details about the dog’s death. However, they did tell the Arizona Daily Sun that Cpl. Tewes and the other officer didn’t want to use any firearms to euthanize the dog for public safety reasons.