Chef Dads Bacon Wrapped Green ChilisPosted: Updated:
Chef Dad’s Bacon Wrapped Green Chili’s
8 Anaheim Chili Peppers (large, fresh from your grocers produce section)
1 Package of Cream Cheese (8 oz. at room temperature)
2 Tbsp. Salsa (your favorite)
Salt & Pepper
Bacon (16 strips of regular bacon, NOT the thick sliced)*
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) In a bowl, combine cream cheese with a few heaping tablespoons of the salsa and a few heavy pinches of salt & pepper then mix well to combine then set aside.
3) Slice the stem side of the pepper off. Now slice pepper in half lengthwise. Spoon out and discard the seeds and stems.
4) Use a piping bag or zipper bag** to spread about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture in the hollowed out portion of pepper.
5) Wrap entire pepper with strip of bacon.
6) Place on a baking rack inside a baking pan so that the bacon fat can drain away. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until bacon has browned.
*Your bacon will cook more thoroughly if you buy the regular bacon rather than the thick slices. Also, allow bacon to sit out of the fridge for about 15-20 minutes so it will be easier to stretch around the pepper.
** Put cream cheese mixture in a plastic zipper bag and snip off a small corner with scissors then “pipe” the cream cheese into the chili.
This recipe makes 16 servings.
Cooks Note: Try to find green chilies that are straight and not curved. Obviously, they are easier to work with.