ME: Michael Marin's courtroom death was suicide

Posted: Updated:
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- The Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office on Friday released its report on the courtroom death of Michael Marin. It was suicide by cyanide poisoning.

Right after being convicted or arson on June 28, Marin, 53, put his head in his hands and slipped something into his mouth. He then took a drink from a sports bottle. Minutes later he collapsed and died. It was all caught on video.
(Watch video)

About week after Marin's death stunned the entire country, investigators with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office discovered a canister of cyanide in Marin's vehicle. It was in powdered form, which investigators believe Marin used to make pellets or capsules.

The M.E.'s report said Marin had the poison in his system. According to the report, tests did not turn up any evidence of other drugs, medications or alcohol.

"Give the postmortem examination findings and reported circumstances of death, the manner of death is most appropriately designated suicide," the report signed by Medical Examiner Kevin D. Horn reads.

Marin, a banker, art collector, adventurer and one-time multimillionaire was convicted of burning down his Biltmore mansion in July 2009 because he could not make the payments.

He made headlines then because he escaped the the smoke and flames by crawling out of a second-story window and climbing down an emergency ladder. He used a scuba tank to avoid smoke inhalation.

Initially thought to be a narrow escape, prosecutors said it was a well-thought out plan.

Just like he apparently planned his escape from his burning home, Marin apparently also planned for the worst at his trial. He was facing 16 years in prison, but he had no intention of serving that time.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Marin sent an email to his family that was received the night he died. That email reportedly contained information about Marin's will be should he be convicted.

"It's really sad," Arpaio said earlier this month. "You have to feel bad for the family.  I don't know why he did it."

While the video and the evidence pointed to suicide, the medical examiner was legally required to make the official ruling.

Marin collapses in court [extremely graphic video]
Some viewers may find the below video disturbing.

(Pick up reading where you left off)