Photos: House fire under investigation; odd note found at scene

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- Investigators have more questions after a fire broke out at a Phoenix home that apparently was being used at a storage unit.

When firefighters arrived on the scene at 70th Drive and Mariposa Street, which is south of Camelback Road, just before 3 a.m., they found an odd note taped to the wall of the house.It was addressed to "Firemen," and started with the words, "Please be careful."

Among other things, the note mentioned that there was ammunition inside the house. With safety in mind, firefighters immediately went defensive and called in specialists to handle the potentially explosive situation.

It turned out the fire was in one of the bedrooms that did not have much in it compared to other areas of the house. Crews were able to put it out relatively quickly.

According to Catherine Daigneault, whose parents own the home, a family friend was supposed to be staying there.

"He had some personal issues of his own," Daigneault told 3TV's Gibby Parra. "He was having financial struggles. He needed somewhere to stay so he came to stay here …."

Daigneault said the man, identified only as "Dave," was helping to sort, catalog and pack items that were in the house so that they could be put into storage.

Daigneault said she was picking up the man to take him to an 8:30 a.m. court appearance. When she showed up, contractors were boarding up the house and news crews were shooting the action.

"I don't understand what's going on," Daigneault said. "I don't know what's going to happen at this point."

The note on the wall, which reportedly mentioned murder and suicide, appears to have been signed by the Dave about whom Daigneault spoke.

Although that note read, "I started this fire on purpose," fire officials have not ruled the fire arson, nor have they determined a motive. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

No arrests have been made and it's not clear where Dave is or exactly how he might be connected to the situation.

No injuries were reported.