Good Samaritan shot while helping woman recounts incident; shooter on the loose

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- A father of three is out of the hospital and recovering after he was shot in the neck by an armed robber.

Jerold Garrison, 33, was riding his bike near 48th Street and Virginia Avenue last month when he came upon a man trying to rob a woman.

"He pulls out a pistol and says, 'Give me everything you got,' and she's telling him no," Garrison recalled. "She's fighting back with him and that's when he grazed her in the leg, I guess... and stuck the gun to the back of my neck and fired."

The female victim received a minor gunshot wound.

Garrison, however, was hit in back of his neck. The bullet went under his tongue and then out his mouth, claiming a few lower teeth.

According to Garrison, he didn't have a chance to say anything to the suspect or even get off of his bike that night. But he knew he wanted to do something.

"I was just trying to defuse the situation as easy as possible," Garrison explained. "I thought maybe, I mean if he saw somebody else, maybe he'd take off and run."

Instead the bullet went flying through him.

"My ears were just ringing, ringing real bad. And then I noticed I was spitting up blood, so I knew I had to get to help."

Garrison managed to run to a firehouse nearby. He was taken to the hospital in serious condition and spent two weeks in a medically induced coma .

After three surgeries, Garrison is on the mend.

He even has a wedding to look forward to. Shortly after waking up from his coma, Garrison proposed to his longtime girlfriend, and mother of his three kids. They're getting married next month.

And just three days after being released from the hospital, Garrison is riding his bike again, revisiting the same place he was shot, saying he doesn't have any fears about the suspect who is still on the loose.

"I've lived in this neighborhood since I was 8 years old and I'll be damned if this is going to change it," he said.

The suspect in the case is described as a black man in his early 20s, about 5 feet 6 inches tall, between 120 and 140 pounds. He may be driving an early '90s-model Honda Civic, possibly red or purple in color. If you see him call police.