Former Taekwondo instructor pleaded guilty in sexual exploitation case

Posted: Updated:
Jonathan Knight By Catherine Holland Jonathan Knight By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- A former Taekwondo instructor in Chandler pleaded guilty on Tuesday in a sexual exploitation of minor case.

Jonathan Knight, 24, was arrested in Nov. 2011. He pleaded guilty to two counts of furnishing obscene or harmful items to a minor and one count of luring a minor.

He is scheduled to be sentenced in May.

According to police, the investigation was launched on Oct. 17, 2011 when the father of a 12-year-old girl reported that their daughter had been receiving in appropriate text messages from Knight.

Detectives said those inappropriate messages included a naked photo of Knight. The girl said she deleted the photo from her phone. According to court paperwork, Knight told the preteen in at least one message that she was gorgeous and he loved her.

Police used the girl's phone to continue the conversation with Knight, which included several additional naked photos. Court paperwork indicates that Knight said he wanted to be intimate with the girl and even promised to wear a condom and take precautions so she would not get pregnant.

Officers posing as the girl set up a meeting with Knight outside her house. Knight was arrested across the street from her home.

Police said Knight admitted sending the texts and the photos to the 12-year-old. According to court paperwork, Knight told investigators that while he did send the message about being intimate with the girl, he did not have any intention of having sex with her that night. He said he meant sometime in the future.