Carbon monoxide sickens 7 employees at bagel shop

Posted: Updated:
Fire crews were called to Einstein Bros Bagels near Seventh Street and Bell Road after carbon monoxide gas sickened seven people. By Jennifer Thomas Fire crews were called to Einstein Bros Bagels near Seventh Street and Bell Road after carbon monoxide gas sickened seven people. By Jennifer Thomas

PHOENIX -- Fire crews were called to a Valley bagel shop Saturday after carbon monoxide gas sickened seven employees.

Late Saturday morning two employees at the Einstein Bros Bagels store near Seventh Street and Bell Road left work early because they were not feeling well.

At least one of the employees sought treatment at the Mayo Clinic. Medical staff determined the employee was suffering from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

By early afternoon the hospital called the Phoenix Fire Department, who then rushed to the store and quickly determined there were high levels of carbon monoxide gas inside.

The store was evacuated. Five employees at the scene were also found to be suffering from elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Three were transported to a local hospital to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber. Two others were treated at the scene.

No customers were affected. The source of the leak is under investigation.