HOTLINE: Sunday, April 15Posted: Updated:
Tax Day Freebies and Deals
Alicia's Deals in AZ
Chef Dad's Mexican Deep Dish Pizza
1 lb. Ground Beef
½ lb. Ground Pork Chorizo
1 lb. Cheddar Jack Cheese (shredded)
1 (15 oz.) Can Refried Beans
8 oz. Cream Cheese (at room temp)
1 Cup Taco Sauce (your favorite, divided ½ c + ½ c)
¼ Cup Salsa (your favorite)
Salt & Pepper
3 Extra Large or Jumbo Sized Flour Tortillas
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large frying pan over medium high heat, fry your ground beef & chorizo with a few pinches of salt & pepper. Chop it up while it's cooking. Drain fat completely, put in a bowl with ½ cup of taco sauce, mix well then set aside.
3) In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese & ¼ cup of salsa. Mix well & set aside.
4) In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine refried beans with your other ½ cup of taco sauce plus a few pinches of salt & pepper. Mix well until just warmed then set aside for final assembly.
5) To assemble the pizza, first lightly coat the bottom of a large, oven proof, non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Put one of your tortillas on your work surface then spread ½ of your bean mixture across the top of it with a spatula. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the cooked meat over that then about 1/3 of your cheese. Pick up this tortilla and place on the bottom of your frying pan. Make the second tortilla by first spreading your entire cream cheese mixture evenly over the top then ½ of your remaining meat then ½ of your remaining cheese. Again, pick this up and lay on top of the first one in the frying pan. The final layer goes tortilla, remaining refried bean mixture, remaining meat and finally the remaining cheese. Put that layer on top of the others in the frying pan then lightly press down.
6) Bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese begins to darken, but no longer than 35 minutes. Remove from oven and slide pizza out of the pan onto a cutting board. Cut pie shaped wedges and serve immediately.
Serves 6 people.
Cooks Notes: For best results, I always recommend shredding your own cheese rather than buying the pre-shredded cheese that has less creaminess. You can serve this dish with some Spanish rice and or salsa on the side. A dollop of sour cream might be nice as well