Pan-Seared Acadian Redfish with white corn gritsPosted: Updated:
8 Acadian Redfish filets, skin removed (other firm, mild fish will work as well)
1 cup polenta
4 cups water
1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/8 lb butter
1 bottle good red wine
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 (small) handful whole black peppercorns
1. Place medium stock pot over high heat, add water and a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
2. Slowly stir in polenta.
3. Turn heat to low and simmer polenta 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in butter and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt.
5. Pour the red wine into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Add thyme and peppercorns. Cook to reduce by 9/10's, or until mixture is thick and syrupy.
6. Place a large pan over the highest possible heat and add Canola oil to coat. When pan is hot add fish, flesh side up. Cook without disturbing for 3 to 4 minutes, or until fish releases easily from pan.