Weekend freeway closures, restrictionsPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX – Work continues this weekend on a project to improve eastside access to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Crews are scheduled to begin reconstruction of the southbound State Route 143 on-ramp at Washington Street Friday night and the ramp will remain closed for several weeks.
Meanwhile, drivers heading to the airport’s west entrance late Friday or early Saturday should plan for a ramp closure that connects eastbound Interstate 10 with eastbound Sky Harbor Boulevard. The Arizona Department of Transportation recommends drivers plan extra travel time and consider alternate routes while these restrictions are in place:
• Southbound SR 143 (Hohokam Expressway) on-ramp at Washington Street closed for several weeks beginning 9 p.m. Friday (March 23) for reconstruction in conjunction with project to improve access to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. DETOUR: Drivers can use 44th Street to University Drive instead. Note: Ramp is scheduled to re-open in May.
• Eastbound I-10 connecting ramp to eastbound Sky Harbor Boulevard closed 11 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday (March 24) for sign installation at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. DETOUR: For airport access, use Jefferson Street to 24th Street to Buckeye Road.
• Southbound Country Club Drive (State Route 87) right lane closed at US 60 (Superstition Freeway) 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday for utility work. Expect turn-lane restrictions on east- and westbound US 60 Country Club Drive off-ramps. DETOUR: Merge carefully. Obey posted speed limits and signage in this active work zone.
• Westbound I-10 on-ramp at 107th Avenue closed and westbound I-10 narrowed to four lanes between Avondale Boulevard and Dysart Road 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (March 26) for guardrail installation. DETOUR: Drivers can use the Avondale Boulevard on-ramp to access westbound I-10.
• Southbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) right lane closed between McKellips Road and Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) 10 p.m. Saturday to 2 a.m. Sunday (March 25) for pavement improvements. McKellips Road on-ramp also closed. DETOUR: Consider using on-ramp at McDowell Road.
See other weekend restrictions at www.ValleyFreeways.com/OtherRestrictions.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions across Arizona, visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1. Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov. Learn more about ADOT’s projects and programs to improve Arizona’s transportation system by reading the ADOT blog at www.adotblog.blogspot.com.
ADOT plans and constructs new freeways, additional lanes and other major improvements as part of the 20-year Regional Transportation Plan for the Maricopa County region. The primary funding source is a half-cent sales tax approved by county voters in 2004. More information about ADOT projects and the regional plan is available at www.ValleyFreeways.com.