Tax time: Do you have the forms you need?

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX -- It's Feb. 1, which means you should have all the forms you need to file your taxes.

IRS spokesman Bill Brunson ran it all down for 3TV's Scott Pasmore Wednesday morning. He said all of the forms you need should have been mailed by now so if you don't have them in hand yet, you should soon. He also explained what you need to do if those forms don't show up in your mail box.

The basic forms that most people get are the W-2 (wage and tax form), the 1098 (mortgage interest) and the 1099 (interest and dividend income). Depending on your personal circumstances, there are a variety of other forms you might need to properly file your return.

Once you have everything assembled and have finished filling out your 1040, double check everything to make sure you haven't made any errors.

Brunson said the most common issue involves basic math mistakes.

You also need to be sure you've sign and dated your forms. For married couples filing jointly, both spouses need to sign.

If you're expecting a refund, Brunson suggests you file electronically and use direct deposit. If you do, the money can be in your bank account in two weeks or less, he said.

The deadline for filing your federal tax forms -- or an extension -- is normally April 15. This year, you have two extra days because April 15 falls on a Sunday and Monday, April 16 is Emancipation Day, which is a bank holiday in the District of Columbia.

For more information. visit