Chef Dads Baked Chicken WingsPosted: Updated:
4 lbs. Chicken Wings (thawed*)
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Pepper
½ tsp. Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
4 Tbsp. Butter
¾ Cup BBQ Sauce or Hot Sauce (your favorite brand)
Baking pan lined with foil
1) Pre heat oven to 400 degrees with your oven rack in the 2nd position from the top.
2) Rinse thawed chicken with cold water then pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, combine wings with olive oil and toss then sprinkle on the salt, chili powder & pepper. Toss well to coat. You can do this the night before if you’d like.
3) You’ll need a large baking pan that is lined with foil. Spread wings across the pan so they don’t crowd each other and bake evenly. Put in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
4) When the wings are almost done baking, melt your butter & BBQ sauce together in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer for just one minute and stir well to combine. Turn off heat and cover until wings are finished cooking.
5) After wings have baked for 40 minutes, check to see if they are nicely browned. If not, let them go another 5 minutes.
6) Remove from oven and put the wings on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess fat then into your pan with the sauce. Toss together to coat the wings then serve.
* Some stores sell fresh/thawed chicken wings in their meat department, but most have them only available in the freezer section. Each 2 pound bag of wings will only feed about 3 people, so plan accordingly. If you buy them frozen, let them thaw in your fridge overnight or you can thaw then quickly by putting them in a large bowl of tap water for about 35-45 minutes. Don’t use hot water, just room temp tap water. Just remember to dry them off with paper towels before adding the oil & seasonings.
Cooks Note: You can double or triple this recipe if you’re cooking for a crowd, but make sure you don’t overcrowd the baking rack & pan otherwise the chicken won’t cook thoroughly & brown well. Finally, if your chicken starts browning early, take them out of the oven and turn wings over then put back in the oven.
Chef Dad’s Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
½ Cup Mayonnaise
½ Cup Sour Cream
5-6 oz. Blue Cheese (crumbled)
2 Tbsp. Buttermilk
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. White Vinegar
2 Drops Hot Sauce
¼ tsp. Black Pepper
¼ tsp. Kosher Salt
1) Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl then cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. You can keep this in the refrigerator for up to one week.