Fire crews fight massive structure fire in North PhoenixPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- A structure fire sent up a dark plume of smoke that could be seen throughout the metro Phoenix area Wednesday morning.
Firefighters say the people who live on the property near Bell Road and 21st Street, where the fire happened, are possibly hoarders.
The couple lived in a motor home on the property and the fire tore through a large storage shed behind it. The Phoenix home had running water but no electricity.
The woman who lived there said she went outside around 7:30 a.m. to hang clothes on the clothesline when she smelled something burning and later heard an explosion and saw flames.
Dozens of Phoenix firefighters were called out to battle the blaze. The storage shed contained clothing, tire rims, furniture, mattresses and several propane tanks among other things.
The couple who lived at the home said many of the items were antiques and had belonged to a relative who died a few years ago.
Phoenix firefighters put out the fire, located next to Aire Libre Elementary School, shortly before 9 a.m., but it took them hours to cut through all the debris.
No one was evacuated and no one was injured. Fire investigators are still looking into what started this fire.