HOTLINE: Saturday, Jan. 21Posted: Updated:
Barrett Jackson Auto Show & Auction
Brittney Shipp was live out at Barrett Jackson Auto Show & Auction. The show runs through Sunday at Westworld, located at 16601 North Pima Road in Scottsdale. For more information go to www.barrett-jackson.com
Safe Kids Car Seat Check Points
Safe Kids Maricopa County 14th Annual Car Seat Event. The event will take place at three different locations in the valley where people can go from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Saturday January 21st. The locations are the North Phoenix Baptist Church located at 5757 N. Central Avenue in Phoenix, Cabelas at 9380 W. Glendale Ave. in Glendale and Mesa Community college at 1833 W. Southern Ave in Mesa. For more information go to www.safekids.org
Chinese New Year Festival
The Chinese New Year Festival performance will take place on Saturday January 21st at the Chandler Center for the Arts located at 250 N. Arizona Ave in Chandler. The performance starts at 7pm and tickets are $10/person. For more information call 602-490-8613 or go to http://azeaa.com
Warner Brothers Good Bye
The Arizona Museum for Youth in Mesa will have a goodbye party for the "Art of Warner Bros." exhibit on Saturday January 21st from 9am until 11am. For more information go to http://arizonamuseumforyouth.com
Carefree-Cave Creek Balloon Festival
The 3rd Annual Carefree-Cave Creek Balloon Festival will take place on Saturday January 21st beginning at 4pm at the Carefreeresort located at 37220 Mule Train Road in Carefree. For more information go to http://cavecreekballoonfestival.com
Disney On Ice: Disney Pixar's "Toy Story 3"
Disney on Ice featuring your favorite Toy Story 3 characters hits the ice at the US Airways Center beginning Wednesday January 17 through Sunday January 22nd. For more information go to www.ticketmaster.com
Edwin McCain Concert
Edwin McCain will perform on Sunday January 22nd at the Compound Grill located at 7000 E. Mayo Boulevard in Scottsdale. The performcance starts at 7:30pm and tickets are $20-$25/person. For more information go to www.thecompoundgrill.com
H&R Block Tax Bus
The Road to Tax Season 2012 tour is in the second half of its national campaign. This Saturday, Jan. 21st, El Taxmóvil will be located at Arizona Mills Mall located at I-10 and US-60, 5000 S. Arizona Mills Circle in Tempe, AZ. On Sunday, Jan. 22nd it will be at Fiesta Mall, 1445 W. Southern Ave in Mesa, AZ. The bus will be at both locations from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information go to www. www.hrblock.com
Internet Marketing for Small Businesses
Mike Arce is the founder of "Loud Rumor" L.L.C.. For more information go to www.LoudRumor.com or email Info@LoudRumor.com. Mike will be hosting a BBB Seminar - How to use Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click Advertising, and Tools for Your Website on Wednesday, January 25 from 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. at AIR Marketing, located at 3419 E. University Drive in Phoenix. You must be an employee of a BBB Accredited Business to attend.
Chris Akard Fitness
The Akard Fitness Studio is located at 4328 N Wells Fargo Avenue, Suite 4 in Scottsdale. Call 480-941-0211 to make an appointment or visit www.akard.com.
Walk On! Kids Cooking Challenge
Now in its 7th year, the Walk On! Challenge is a free health and fitness program implemented in classrooms each year in February designed to motivate fifth-grade students across Arizona to incorporate healthy habits into their daily routines for a better future. The Kids' Cooking Challenge is open to all Valley children ages 9-12, regardless of whether their class is participating in the 2012 Walk On! Challenge. For more information go to www.azblue.com/WalkOn
Tasty Smoothie Surprise
1 cup orange or mango juice
1 /2 cup nonfat milk
1 cup crushed ice
1 cup leaf spinach
5 baby carrots
1 raspberry nonfat Yoplait yogurt
1 /2 cup frozen pineapple,
1 /2 cup frozen strawberries
1 tablespoon flax seed
Place all ingredients in a blender for 1-2 minutes. Pour into glasses and serve.
Summer Camp Tips
For more information on the Friendly Pinds Camp in Prescott go to www.FriendlyPines.com; call
(928) 445-2128 or 1-888-281-2267 or email info@FriendlyPines.com Friendly Pines will host a "Phoenix Round up", an opportunity to meet the staff, ask questions, see a slide show and win raffles, including one week free camp on Monday, Jan. 23rd, 2012 - 7:00 p.m. at All Saints Episcopal located at 6300 N. Central Ave in Phoenix.
www.ShowUp.com provides a comprehensive calendar of the theater, music, dance, art, festivals and cultural attractions throughout the Valley and around Arizona - along with a Ticket Marketplace that sells last-minute discount tickets. Sign up for "You've Got Shows!" at www.ShowUp.com for a chance to win free tickets. ShowUp.com is a project of the non-profit Alliance for Audience and Matt Lehrman is its Executive Director.
Shapeware for a better body now
For more information go to www.wacoal-america.com
K-von at Stand Up, Scottsdale! Comedy Club
Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at the door or online at www.standupscottsdale. Stand Up, Scottsdale is located in Old Town Scottsdale at 6820 E. 5th Ave. (at the legendary Anderson's Fifth Estate building)
Chinese New Years
Ling and Louie's Asian Bar and Grill in Scottsdale is located at 9397 E. Shea Blvd. inside Wild Horse Pass Casino in Chandler. For more information or to make reservations call 480-767-5464 or go to www.LingandLouies.com
Ling & Louie's Crispy Asian Sea Bass
- With Ling & Louie's Crispy Asian Sea Bass, we have simplified Ling's traditional whole fish preparation and made it more approachable for all.
- We're using corvina, which is also known as Japanese Sea Bass or California White Sea Bass. You can use any white fish that has a firmer texture and good oil content, like snapper or barramundi.
- We begin by cutting the filets a little thinner, which makes it easier to cook in our wok. Season the filets with salt and pepper, and then marinate them in our special yellow curry mix for up to 24 hours. The marinade adds unparalleled flavors to this dish!
- We're going to add oil to a wok and get it really hot. We'll remove the filets from the marinade and bread with seasoned corn starch.
- Once the wok is hot enough (almost smoking), we're going to drop the filets in and let them cook to crisp up the breading.
- In another wok or sauté pan, we're going to add a touch of oil and a mix of asparagus, green beans, and red bell peppers and stir fry.
- Flip the fish over and turn off the heat of the wok. Add sauce to the vegetables. Remove fish from the wok and allow to drain off excess oil.
- Plate with rice at the center of the plate, place stir-fried vegetables on top of the rice, then the fish.
- Drizzle seasoned soy sauce and sweet chili sauces around the plate, and serve more on the side for dipping.