U of A sorority residents displaced by fire

Posted: Updated:

TUCSON, Ariz. -- A fire broke out at the Alpha Phee Sorority house Wednesday afternoon around 4:30.

It started with an electrical malfunction.  The sprinkler system came on and contained the fire to one room, but it also caused significant water damage in the process.

Fifty-six residents evacuated when the alarm went off and nobody was hurt.

"One the girls activated the manual pull station fire alarm and that alerted the rest of the occupants and they all got out safely," said Jeff Thompson from the Tucson Fire Department.

The house is shut down until the water damage is repaired.  The Sahuaro Girl Scouts are offering temporary housing for displaced students.