Roasted Spaghetti Squash with KalePosted: Updated:
1 each spaghetti squash (approx. 3lb.)
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup parmigiana-reggiano, finely grated
2 Tbsp. parsley, roughly chopped
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 ea. 14oz cans tomatoes (“Pastene” brand or any good organic canned tomato)
1 bunch (1/2lb) Tuscan kale, washed, tough stems removed, torn in 2 inch pieces
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds. Place squash, cut side down in a deep baking pan. Sprinkle with the water and bake 45 minutes until tender to the touch. Allow to cool to room temp. When the squash is cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh out of the shell with a fork into a mixing bowl. (Should yield about 5-6 cups).
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook slowly until light brown; stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Transfer the browned crumbs to a mixing bowl and allow to cool. Stir in the Parmesan, parsley and pine nuts; set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté briefly. Add the squash, tomatoes and kale; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer until kale is tender; about 6-7 minutes.
- Check seasoning and transfer to a warm serving dish. Sprinkle the buttered Parmesan crumbs over the casserole and serve.
* This dish is excellent with a pinch of saffron added during step #3 if you happen to have some.
Yield: 6-8 servings