Chef Dad's Cabo CasserolePosted: Updated:
Chef Dad's Cabo Casserole
1 lb. Box of Macaroni Noodles
1 lb. Ground Chorizo (pork or beef)
1/2 lb. Ground Beef
1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
1 Onion (diced)
2 Tbsp. Garlic (diced)
1 lb. Box of Velveeta® Mexican Blend Cheese (cubed)
1/2 Stick of butter
1 Pint (16 oz.) Half & Half
1/2 Cup Manchego* Cheese (shredded or grated)
1) Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a saucepan over low heat, combine cubed Velveeta, butter and half & half then cover. Allow ingredients to heat slowly. Stir every few minutes until cheese has completely melted. Turn off heat and keep covered until later.
3) Start heating a large pot of salted water for noodles but don't put them in yet.
4) Heat a large skillet over medium high heat for a few minutes then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and both meats. Chop well with a wooden spoon and cook meat completely. Remove from heat, drain fat and set aside.
5) In a frying pan over medium high heat, sauté diced veggies (peppers, onion & garlic) in a skillet with about 1 tablespoon of each olive oil plus a few pinches of salt & pepper. Stir vegetables often until tender, approx. 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
6) Cook macaroni noodles per box instructions. Drain well.
7) In a large bowl, combine and mix together the meat, veggies, cheese mixture, noodles plus the manchego cheese. Pour mixture into a large buttered or sprayed casserole dish. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of olive oil over top then bake for 30-35 minutes or until sides are bubbling and the top starts to brown a bit.
Cooks Notes: *Manchego cheese can be found in most grocery stores in the same place you find wedges of fresh parmesan cheese. In fact, it's the Spanish version of parmesan but slightly nuttier. But, parmesan cheese can be used instead if you'd like.