America's best winter citiesPosted: Updated:
The readers have spoken.
When asked to name their top American cities for a vacation this winter, the readers of Travel + Leisure Magazine offer up a wide variety of options. And for nine of the ten, you won’t need parkas. Or snow tires.
The magazine asks readers to rate a variety of cities in dozens of categories - everything from best Happy Hour to availability of museums and cultural activities. Night life plays a factor, along with pet-friendliness and even availability of quality microbrews.
So just like David Letterman, here is Travel + Leisure Magazine’s list of America’s favorite places to spend time this Winter. Drum roll, please:
10) Savannah, Georgia – This history-rich and romantic city is blessed with a mild climate, and full of charming parks
9) Orlando, Florida – Mickey Mouse and Harry Potter dominate the activities here, and the huge variety of hotel options make this a great Winter destination for couples and families
8) Salt Lake City, Utah – Use Salt Lake City as a jumping off point for the terrific ski resorts found within 30 minutes of town. The money you save staying here, instead of one of the resort towns, will pay for your lift ticket
7) Miami, Florida – One of the original “snowbird” cities, Miami offers a wide variety of fun activities and nightlife during the winter months
6) San Diego, California – The water might be a little chilly, but with fewer visitors, winter is a great time to golf and explore
5) Houston, Texas – Home to the current title holder of “World’s Largest Stock show and Rodeo,” you’ll also find lots of outdoor activities, and a variety of terrific museums, to keep you entertained this time of year
4) New Orleans, Louisiana – From the French Quarter to the Garden District, this graceful city is full of fantastic cafes, restaurants, and activities
3) Phoenix/Scottsdale – We’re number 3! We’re number 3! You can’t beat the Valley of the Sun for shopping, golfing and spas
2) Honolulu – Great for couple and families, you can’t beat the combination of gorgeous weather, tons of activities, and fantastic beaches
And the favorite Winter city, as voted by the readers of Travel + Leisure:
1) San Juan, Puerto Rico – Terrific nightlife, pretty beaches, and a variety of activities combine with affordability to make San Juan an annual favorite
And now the fun stuff.
Some terrific deals on travel to terrific beach destinations in January and February!
The rates below include round trip air from Phoenix, all-inclusive accommodations (all meals and beverages, including alcohol, along with non-motorized water sports and tips) as noted, and airport transfers. Take a look:
Los Cabos – 4-night packages
Holiday Inn Los Cabos
From $599.00 per person, double occupancy
Near the peaceful town of San Jose del Cabo, this attractive property is on a fresh-water estuary
RIU Santa Fe
From $699.00 per person, double occupancy
This terrific property is close to hopping Cabo San Lucas
Melia Cabo Real
From $779.00 per person, double occupancy
On the San Lucas end of The Corridor, this beautiful resort offers golf right on property
Rates are per person, based on two people traveling together. Mid-week travel in January and February offers the best rates. Weekend departures are also available, for a slightly higher rate. Air taxes are additional, currently running approximately $90.00 per person.
Jamaica – 6-night packages
RIU Montego Bay
From $1149.00 per person, double occupancy
On a wonderful stretch of beach
RIU Ocho Rios
From $1199.00 per person, double occupancy
Ocean View room included
Rates are based on mid-week travel in January and February, with weekends also available for a higher rate. Air taxes are additional, currently running approximately $95.00 per person.
Waikiki on Sale
Some terrific values are available for travel to one of America’s favorite winter cities!
The rates below include round trip air from Phoenix, six nights accommodation as noted, and airport transfers.
Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
From $819.00 per person, double occupancy
Great location near shopping, restaurants and across from beach access
From $759.00 per person, double occupancy
Near the International Marketplace, and just a block and a half from the beach
Rates are per person, based on two people traveling together. Mid-week travel in January and February offers the best rates, but weekend departures are also available for an additional charge. Air taxes are additional, currently running approximately $45.00 per person.
We’re planning your next great vacation at TravelationOnline! Give us a call at 602-252-1140, or if you’re outside the Metro Phoenix area, call toll-free at 888-751-2032. You can also reach me directly via e-mail at Rosanne@travelationonline.com. I look forward to hearing from you!