1 Killed, 1 injured in Scottsdale plane crash

Posted: Updated:
Frank M. Smith By Jennifer Thomas Frank M. Smith By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- One person was killed and another seriously injured when a small plane crashed in a residential area near Scottsdale and Thunderbird roads in Scottsdale Thursday morning.

The single-engine Cirrus SR22 was flying from Show Low to Scottsdale when it went down about 10 a.m. in a neighborhood just west of the Scottsdale Municipal Airport. The crash happened about half a mile short of Runway 3, according to Ian Gregor with the Federal Aviation Administration.

A witness told 3TV reporter Steve Bodinet that a larger plane was coming in and it looked like the small plane came too close to the bigger plane and overcorrected. The small plane then lost power. Officials have not confirmed that information.

The pilot somehow managed to put the plane down without hitting any homes, but then it burst into flames. Bodinet said a witness took a fire extinguisher and sprayed into the cockpit, but an explosion drove him back.

The 62-year-old pilot was trapped inside and died. He is believed to be Frank M. Smith, who owns a real estate company in Pinetop, however, positive identification is pending results from the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office.

Frank M. Smith & Associates, Inc., released the following statement:

"Frank M. Smith & Associates mourns the loss of not just the company's owner, but our friend who was loved as much as a family member. There are not words to express how deeply we felt about Frank. We valued his leadership, professionalism, integrity and contribution to our careers, but most of all, his friendship. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, immediate and extended, during this difficult time. While our community has suffered a tremendous loss, we remain committed to the professional legacy which Frank has left behind."

Witnesses pulled a 60-year-old passenger out of the plane. He was transported to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries. His name has not been released.

Gregor said the aircraft was destroyed by fire.

No one on the ground was injured.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the cause of the crash.