HOTLINE: Saturday, Dec. 3Posted: Updated:
The Salvation Army's Christmas Angel Program
Brittney Shipp was live out at Arizona Mills Mall located at 5000 S. Arizona Mills in Tempe for the Salvation Army's Christmas Angel Tree. For more information go to www.azfamily.com/community
Santa Claus Express
The Santa Claus Express kicked off on December 1 on the Verde Canyon Railroad. For more information call 1-800-293-7245 or www.verdecanyonrr.com
Santa's Beach Party
Children of all ages are invited to a beach-themed holiday party with Santa on Saturday December 3 starting at 10am until noon at the Arizona Mills Mall located at 5000 Arizona Mills Circle in Tempe. For more information go to www.arizonamills.com
APS Fiesta of Light Electric Light Parade
Dozens of entries with hundreds of thousands of lights will brighten the streets of central Phoenix Dec. 3 when the APS Fiesta of Light Electric Light Parade returns for the 25th straight year. Entries for the 2011 parade will be interpreting the theme "Silver Bells: 25 Years of Tradition." The parade gets under way at 7 p.m. on Central Avenue at Montebello (just south of Bethany Home Road), heads south on Camelback Road, where it turns east to 7th Street where it turns south and ends at Indian School Road. Comprehensive event information is online at http://phoenix.gov/parks or by phone at 602-534-FEST.
Parade of Lights
Chandler will officially kick off the 2011 holiday season on Saturday December 3rd with the 22nd annual Parade of Lights followed by the 55th annual Tumbleweed Tree Lighting Ceremony. The event starts at 4:30pm. The parade will begin at 7pm. For more information go to www.chandleraz.gov
The Irish Tenors
The Irish Tenors reunite at the Phoenix Celebrity Theatre on Sunday December 4. Dpprs p[em at 5pm. Tickets are on sale at www.celebritytheatre.com
Travel Deals from TravelationOnline.com
For more information on today's travel deals, you can contact Rosanne Coloccia at email@example.com or go to the agency website at www.travelationonline.com
Tempe Mayors Run
For more ifnormation go to www.mayorsrun.org
The Wildlife World Zoo
The Wildlife World Zoo is located at 16501 W. Northern Ave. in Litchfield Park. For more information on all the zoo's exciting attractions and events, call 623-935-WILD or check out their website www.wildlifeworld.com. For more pet training tips from Dr. Grey Stafford, visit www.iReinforce.com
For more information on Dr. Eric Udell and AZ Natural Health go to www.aznaturalhealth.com call 480-456-0402 or you can visit them at their office located at 1250 E. Baseline Rd Ste 104 in Tempe.
Phoenix Boys Choir
The Phoenix Boys Choir is located at 1131 E. Missouri Ave in Phoenix. For more information and a schedule of concert dates go to www.PhoenixBoysChoir.org
www.ShowUp.com provides a comprehensive calendar of the theater, music, dance, art, festivals and cultural attractions throughout the Valley and around Arizona - along with a Ticket Marketplace that sells last-minute discount tickets. Sign up for "You've Got Shows!" at www.ShowUp.com for a chance to win free tickets. ShowUp.com is a project of the non-profit Alliance for Audience and Matt Lehrman is its Executive Director.
Habitat for Humanit goes solar
For more information on Harmon Solar go to www.harmonsolar.com or follow them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HarmonSolar or Twitter at @HarmonSolar. For more information on Habitat for Humanity Desert Foothills go to www.habitatdf.org or call 623-551-6000. You can also follow them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HabitatDF and on Twitter at @HabitatDFAZ
Seasons 52 is located at Biltmore Fashion Park at 2502 E Camelback Rd in Phoenix. For more information go to www.Seasons52.com or call (602) 840-5252
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS WITH PEARL PASTA AND CHICKEN JUS
Makes 1 portion
8 each Caramelized Sea Scallops
4 ounces Pearl Pasta
10 pieces Roasted Asparagus
2 ounces Dark Chicken stock
Half a lemon for garnish
Caramelized Sea Scallops
Makes 1 portion
8 jumbo sea scallops
1 teaspoon blackening spice
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
6 spritz extra virgin olive oil, in spray bottle
1/2 juice of fresh lemon
· Heat non-stick skillet on medium high. Spritz pan four times with extra virgin olive oil.
· Pat scallops dry and season with blackened spice and salt. Add scallops, not touching, do not stir or move. Sear scallops for 2 minutes, turn and sear for 2 more minutes. Squeeze lemon into pan with scallops to deglaze. Remove pan from heat.
· Arrange scallops creatively on plate with pearl pasta, asparagus, and chicken jus.
* For a little extra kick add a few drops of Sriracha hot sauce to the plate
Makes 2 pounds
1 pound Pearl Pasta, cooked
1/2 ounce Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 ounces Balsamic Onions
2 ounces Sun Dried Tomatoes
4 ounces Plum Tomatoes, peeled and diced
4 ounces Cremini Mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
1/2 ounce Basil, chopped
Big pinch Parsley, chopped
Pinch Kosher Salt
Pinch Black Pepper
· Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
· Ensure pasta is cooled completely by using a ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
· Sauté garlic in EVO for 1-2 minutes. Cool in refrigerator.
· Combine remaining ingredients except seasoning.
· Season to taste with salt and pepper evenly.
· Mix well.
· Store in refrigerator until needed.
2 cups cold eggnog (buy the best and richest brand)
1 3/4 cups cold whole milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or more if desired)
1/4 teaspoon real vanilla flavoring
2 tablespoons brandy
1 tablespoon dark rum (or add 1 more tablespoon for stronger taste)
2 packages vanilla flavored Instant Pudding & Pie filling (4 serving size each)
1 1/2 cup liquid heavy cream beaten or 2½ cups thawed non-dairy whipped topping
Note: Heavy cream may be substituted for eggnog
· Combine eggnog, whole milk, nutmeg, vanilla, brandy and rum. Stir well.
· Add the 2 packages of instant pudding and pie filling, whisking 2 minutes until well mixed and thickened.
· Gently fold into eggnog mix 1½ cups of either the fresh whipped cream or non-dairy topping until totally combined.
· Pour into 8 dessert cups and refrigerate at least two hours before serving.
· When ready to serve, garnish with remaining 1 cup of whipped cream or non-dairy topping. Top with your choice of a champagne flavored gumdrop, a mini peppermint stick or crushed peppermint stick pieces.
Option: For a plated dessert, mix 1½ cups of gingersnap cookie crumbs with 6 tablespoons melted butter until well blended. Then, press into bottom of dessert dish. Pour in eggnog mousse and decorate as above.