Chimney fire on Tucson's west side is a reminder of fireplace maintenance

Posted: Updated:

TUCSON, Ariz. -- With the cooler temps many people getting those fireplaces roaring.  But that caused a house fire on the west side.

It happened late last night on Sandecker Lane near Speedway and Greasewood Road.

A family noticed the wall near the chimney was bubbling from the heat and evacuated.

"During the winter months we see many fires related to heating appliances such is portables space heaters, furnaces, fire places and even wood burning stoves.  So that's why is so important to have your fireplace inspected and cleaned by a certified professional each year," said Trish Tracy of the Tucson Fire Department.

No one was hurt in this case but the fire caused about $20,000 damage.