Seafood CioppinoPosted: Updated:
• 3 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 2 cups tomatoes sauce
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/3 tsp. red pepper flakes
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 1 cup bottled clam juice
• 1/2 lb. sea scallops
• 1 lb. firm white fish, cut into 1-inch pieces (suggested: cod, halibut, striped bass, red snapper)
• 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 24 small clams in the shell, scrubbed
• 1/4 cup fresh basil eaves
• Crusty bread, for serving
Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook about 15 minutes or until are soft and beginning to brown.
Add the tomatoes,, oregano and red pepper flakes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Pour in wine . Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook partially covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the clam juice and continue cooking uncovered for 5 minutes.
Stir in fish pieces and cook for 4 minutes. Add shrimp and clams. Cook for 4 more minutes. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with basil and serve with crusty bread.